Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Sisters (Part 1)

Evelyn and Elsie Maytorena
These two pretty ladies happen to be sisters, and they happen to be my grandmother and great-aunt.  The taller one on the left is my grandmother, Grandma Lyn.  When I was little we called her Grandma Lina (Leena) because everyone called her Lina. I never even knew her real name was Evelyn until I was about 6 and I was helping pass out the Christmas gifts and the tag I read said "To Evelyn."  I didn't see anyone new around named Evelyn so I innocently said, "Oh, I guess she is not here."  Everyone laughed at me because I did not recognize the name of the woman I revered and loved more than any other woman, my Grandma Lina!  But grandma took me in her arms and said, yes, my real name is Evelina, or Evelyn in English. 

In the photo you might notice the stylish dresses they are wearing.  Grandma told me that they used to sew dresses for ladies in town when they were young.  They would travel on the bus from Santa Paula to Los Angeles, to buy fabrics and threads and then return to make dresses to sell.  They were very creative and used magazines to see what the latest styles were.  No patterns needed, they were seamstresses!

My Grandma was the younger sister.  We saw Tia Licha (everyone always had a nickname) every once in a while because it seemed she always lived far away (like in Gilroy) on some ranch with her husband and busy family.  I remember her husband was kind of mean looking and yet kind of handsome because he had very black wavy hair, but he was very dark skinned and looked more Native American than Mexican.  Well, they said he was half Apache (for real) and I believe it because many years later I lived for a short time in Arizona on the Reservation, and I always saw men who looked exactly like Tio Alonzo.  He and his boys were rough and rowdy drinking men, so I was kind of afraid of them. 

Grandma was married to a poor man too, but he was a pentecostal preacher, who traveled around to different churches, spreading the Gospel.  We also lived in the Los Angeles area and not the country.  Clearly these sisters lived very different lives.  But for better or worse, sisters tied together forever.    All of the experiences and the memories of those developmental years and the sharing of that Mommy and Daddy cannot be shared with anyone else like with a sister. 

My grandmother loved her sister very deeply.  They wrote to each other regularly and Grandma prayed for Tia Licha all the time.  I very clearly remember her praying for Tia's health, children, grandchildren and husband.  Her life was hard and poor.  Grandma always spoke to her about the Lord.  I remember when Tia Licha died and my grandmother's eyes were so sad , I wanted to be able to take away the hurt.  But I learned that day that she was also comforted that her sweet sister was at peace and that the hurt would lessen with time.

Sisterhood seems to skip a generation in our family.  My mother had no siblings at all and wanted so much to have sisters so she tried to substitute some cousins for sisters.  I have a sister who I will talk about in another sister blog.  My daughter Sara would have loved to have a sister to share growing up and life with but I have heard her say that her sister-in-law, Lana, is the sister she always wanted.   She loves her very much. 

Yesterday, my sister, Delilah, who is always thinking of others before herself, sent me a birthday card with a sweet message. 

Knowing we would share the special kind of closeness
and connection that will last until the end to time,
God made us sisters...
I will always be grateful to Him for you.

I share that sentiment about her and I believe that Evelyn and Elsie Maytorena, were also grateful to God for each other.  Except that I am happier knowing that the connection will last beyond the end of time on this earth and forevermore right into eternity!  Like my grandmother, I pray for my sister's health, her well being, her happiness and our relationships with the Lord.  I Thank you Lord for my sister and for my grandmother's simple example of how to be a sister.  

 

3 comments:

  1. Evelyn and Elsie--what beautiful names for two sisters. Thank you for the family history-- I can't wait to show the picture to Ella in the morning.
    And Sara is a cherished sister to both Daniel and me!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful reminiscence of your beloved grandmother and wonderful great aunt!!

    Thank you for sending me the link to your blog.

    Deacon Francie

    ReplyDelete