Monday, August 22, 2011

Sunday at the Museum

Chicago Art Institute

Introduction

 I had a wonderful weekend when I went to Chicago to attend a conference on Hispanic Ministry last week.  This was my very first trip to Chicago.  The conference was an Anglican 1000 conference, if you are an Anglican and are familiar with that program you will know that it was very important and meaningful for me.  Perhaps I will share some insights from the conference on another day.

What I want to share with you today is what I did on Sunday.  Sunday is, for sure, the Lord's Day in the Marker household, meaning the day we go to church no matter where we may be.  On this particular day, I decided not to go to Sunday Worship somewhere in Chicago, but instead I asked the Lord to bless me and speak to me in the Art Museum.  So the Holy Spirit and I went on an adventurous train ride from O'Hare to downtown Chicago and walked a few blocks to the Chicago Art Institute.  Trains are fun because you can pray for people around you without them even having to know you are blessing them!

I did indeed have a wonderful day seeing paintings up close that I have only seen in books and other visual media.  I love to see and study great works of art and in the past I spent many hours at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art in my young days, as well as other smaller museums.  When we visited Madrid, Spain I spent 3 days at the Prado and half a day at the Picasso Museum.  All those wonderful masterpieces by so many including Velasquez, El Greco, and of course, Goya.  Oh how I loved spending time with Goya.

Chicago Art Institute
Well, about Chicago.  The museum is lovely and has so, so much wonderful art within its walls.  I want to return to Chicago someday just to go to museums because there are many in this city and I only saw maybe one third of this one!  I had never seen so many Impressionists in one place.  I like to get up close and see brush strokes, but if you do, you miss the whole picture because it must be seen from a distance.  I asked the Lord what he wanted me to learn from what I saw and he said, "Look at all the little brush strokes, all the bits of color, each masterfully placed on the canvas, even though it looks so random.  That is how I created my church, that is how it all comes together as a hand selected, chosen and created masterpiece.  I am the Master and Creator."  Then He told me to consider all the strokes of the masterpieces I saw and think of the individual people in my Christian community and remember that all together we are what the world sees as his family.  Sometimes individually we don't look like much to each other but when seen from a few steps back, like these pictures, we are beautiful and lovingly created as a family.

I saw many Renoir, Degas, Gauguin, Manet and Monet, as well as dear Vincent Van of Gogh paintings.  Then I moved along to many other masterpieces, some by Rembrandt, and even some Spanish painters and all my favorite Flemish painters as well.  Then suddenly I came face to face with the painting I had been specifically brought to see this day.  This one I had never seen in my life!  I stood in front of The Repentance of St. Peter by Jusepe de Ribera, who I believe was a Spanish painter who painted with the Italian painters of his period.
I was so taken in that I literally sat in front of the painting with my eyes glued to St. Peter's face.  I felt as if I was right there with him in his repentance.  I felt as if I was looking through his eyes at Jesus, begging not only forgiveness but for mercy and restoration.  Scripture tells us that St. Peter had been confused by Satan as Jesus Christ had told him he would be when he denied him three times.  When that cock crowed after the third time, he knew what he had done and wept bitterly before God.  Tradition says that for the rest of his life, every time St. Peter heard a cock crow, he would weep.  And that is what I found happening to me, I wept and wept quietly from my left eye.  First I felt his remorse but then I also felt a sense of compassion, just a taste of what I can only imagine the Father felt as well. St. Peter had failings but he loved God.  His faith had failed him but he did not lose faith in God's mercy.  That is why these things are recorded, so that we too will remember to have faith in God's mercy in our times of need and failings.

I sat in front of that painting for probably 15 minutes.  When I finally came to the point of realizing I should move along, all the people who were in that room had changed, which is one way I know for sure I had been there quite a while.  All day I had been talking to the Lord about various paintings we saw together but this was the most wonderful supernatural experience I had all day.  How wonderful it is to be able to see the fruits of the gifts God gave to those who have lived before us.  You know they are really gifts that can still produce spiritual fruits, as this one did for me. 

A Parting Thought
Well, I missed the one painting I would have liked to see "in person";  American Gothic by Grant Wood as seen below.  It was just too far away and I had been in the museum for 6 hours and could not make my way to yet another building.  Now you might wonder why this painting was so fascinating to me.  I have also added a photo of Fr. Bruce Taylor and myself at Christ Church, in Lemoore, CA.  My kids, Sara and Daniel Marker like to make fun of the photo saying we remind them of American Gothic.  What do you think? 
 
Grant Wood (American).  'American Gothic,' 1930. Oil on board.

American Gothic is supposed to represent an upright hardworking couple.  Many say they are religious and serious with little joy showing forth on their faces.  People read all kinds of things into their faces.  American Gothic was painted 80+ years ago so I suppose they were upright for their time and season.  I think we are upright and hardworking in God's vineyard for our day and season.  

Much love and God's Peace to all of you!  Jeannee

6 comments:

  1. Dear Jeannee:

    I do not think that you and Fr. Bruce resemble American Gothic. You two are smiling, and your eyes are twinkling, just as ALWAYS!!

    Love,

    Deacon Francie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Communion of the saints brought about through art. Lovely!

    The Art Institute is one of Van's favorite places. He used to fly to Chicago just to experience it.

    Jacqui McCalister

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've tried three times to comment and tell you how much I enjoyed tis post but somehow I ended up having to change my profile to make my comment go through. Well anyway, I did enjoy your day at the museum. I felt that I was right there with you. Amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, love your posts, Jeannee. You have such a great way with words. And I, too, do not think you resemble American Gothic...just the opposite, full of joy and expectancy. Keep up the great work. Sending you lots of love. Cathy Sampson

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my favorite childhood memories is taking the train to Downtown Chicago with my grandmother to see a Monet exhibit right before she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. I also remember being amazed by how beautiful each individual brushstroke is--I can vividly remember looking at a particular waterlily up close when it looked like a swirl of colors and textures and slowly backing away until it finally looked like a flower. Maybe someday my mom can give us all a tour of Chicago and its different museums!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would just love to go on a tour of Chicago museums withyour mom and our family. What a lovely and meaningful time it will be for us to know and see Chicago at it's most culturally blessed.

    ReplyDelete